Monday, September 27, 2010

With a goal in mind

My fitness regime, if one could even qualify it as a regime, has been full of excuses:

•  My husband’s not home during weekday mornings, so I can’t go to an exercise class before work.

•  I cannot seem to drag myself out of bed anytime before 6 a.m., so an early morning workout session doesn’t fit into the precise schedule of getting the kids and myself out the door on time for school/work.

•  Work has been too busy lately that I cannot fit in a mid-day workout.

•  I’m too tired after a full day at work and an evening taking care of the kiddos (making dinner, overseeing homework, prepping for the next day, etc.) Even if I wanted to go workout in the evening, it’s hard to find an activity that the kids both like. And if I take them to the gym with them, I spend more time overseeing them and/or fielding complaints than I do working out.

•  It’s 9:30 by the time Mr. B is in bed and then it’s too late to workout.

It doesn’t help that many mothers I know have flexible work schedules and/or are home part of the day where they can easily fit in exercise classes at the gym during the day when their kids are at school. Yes, jealousy and a great deal of self-pity have been running rampant in my mind for a long while now.

So what does one do when faced with having to wear a fancy cocktail dress to an uber swanky event in New York City?

Like the infamous words of Tim Gunn, I figure out a way to “make it work.”

I’ve been lucky to have found a wonderful local trainer on Twitter that has been willing to work with me. With the support of a good friend who has offered to watch the kids one night during the week (and my husband on the weekend), I’m now taking two high intensity, fat-burning/toning classes a week through October.

My goal: Lose at least 5 pounds and build  muscle tone by the first week of November to look smokin hot in this plum little number:



Let me tell you, after the first two classes, I hurt like I haven’t hurt since two-a-day volleyball workouts in college (did you know your lats can hurt so much it takes a good 5-10 seconds to lift your arm...they can. And don't get me started about sore lateral butt  muscles, oy!) My kids finds it amusing that I’ve been walking around like a slow moving, old lady this weekend, but I’m loving it because I know my efforts are already working.

Stay tuned...

4 comments:

camilyn said...

Hi,

You have an extremely good blog. Most people tend not to understand what mind power can do to one's good results Start directing the great power of your respective mind and subconscious mind to generate the lifestyle you need with our Mind Power training technique. Get the Free Mp3, E-Course and CD right now and begin directing the power of the mind and subconscious mind to produce the life you would like - in 7-simple steps.

Shari said...

Push-ups - - - -there's always time for push-ups!!!! When I face the same dilemmas, it's push-ups, sit-ups and yoga that I can do throughout the day! Push-ups do amazing things for your overall strength! Go hot mama!!!!!

Krystyn said...

You can do it! And, those 5 pounds will melt off! Thank goodness for good friends, too!

Heather said...

I am excited that you are able to do this for you and I can't wait to see how you look in that dress!!

Share via AddThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...