Pages

Sunday, March 15, 2009

A Lasting Love

Love. It's what we all strive for. Yet, many fall so short.

In a society where more than 50 percent of marriages end in divorce, it's wonderful to see loving marriages that stand the test of time. I'm proud to say that my parents are one of those couples. In honor of their 35th wedding anniversary, I wanted to dedicate today's blog to my parents.

Growing up, I never questioned whether my parents loved each other. It was evident in everything they did.

Simple Expressions:

Not one meal went by that Daddy didn't give Mom a kiss as he left the table. This is one of my most vivid and cherished childhood memories I have of their marriage.

Loving Patience:

They never raised their voices at each other (at least in the presence of their children). This loving patience is something I strive for in my own marriage.

Sacrifices:

My parents have always been willing to sacrifice for the family, even if it meant that they had to be apart. For example, they made sure that there was always one parent at each of their sports games or activities, even when Daddy had a job 1.5 hours away from home. With four daughters, this was a significant commitment, But never once have I heard them utter one word of complaint.

When I was in high school, my parents made the difficult decision to keep the family in Ohio after Daddy accepted a job in Indiana. At the time, I was so grateful just to be able to stay with my friends. I never completely realized what a huge sacrifice and hardship it was on their marriage. Today, I as live through the same experience with my own husband, I truly understand the significance of the sacrifices they both made to our family.

Unfailing Love.

Like the vows they took, their love has endured during good times and bad. When my Grandma was battling cancer, Daddy was my mom's biggest supporter. As she became one of Grandma's primary caregivers, Daddy was there to comfort her, pray with her and always make sure she was taken care of. He was also her pillar of strength when Grandma passed away.

Mom & Daddy, as you celebrate this wonderful occasion, I hope you know that the love you have and the marriage you've led are admired by many. Especially me. Love you both forever!

(NOTE: I would have loved to have posted a picture of my lovely parent, but have chosen not to in honor of Daddy's wishes.)

No comments:

Share via AddThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...